Monday, November 29

My favorite holiday movies and Christmas wish list!




{5} Favorite Holiday Movies

I must admit, this one is tough and easy at the same time.  I have so many favorite holiday movies that it's hard to select just a few, but if I must, I absolutely know my faves.

1) It's a Wonderful Life.  Favorite Classic Movie.  I will admit that for several years, it seemed like a silly movie that my mom always talked about.  Well, 4 years ago, my grandmother was sick and passed away.  While my mom was in Alabama taking care of things, I decorated the house for her and then sat down to watch this movie for the first time.  It was so bad that I turned it off.  The next year, I popped it in again, hoping my feelings would have changed.  I'm so glad I did.  I cried.  I cried and cried and cried.  It is such a feel good movie and now a must-watch each Christmas season.  If you haven't seen it, go rent it now...you won't regret it!



 2) A Christmas Story.  Favorite Holiday Comedy.  I don't even know when the obsession with this movie began, but I honestly can't remember a Christmas when we didn't watch this movie for 24 hours straight.  My brother, dad and I find it absolutely hysterical...every time.  My mom thinks we're crazy and doesn't understand the obsession.  Regardless, I have the short stories written my Jean Shepherd and the DVD.  My family can quote it backwards and forwards.  Last year the Tennessee Repertory Theatre did A Christmas Story in the round at TPAC.  Drew and I decided to buy tickets for each other for Christmas.  It was totally worth it.  With the play being in the round, it was open for active participation by the audience.  The actors were really into it, and it was interesting to see how they adapted some of the scenes from the movie for the stage.  Not only that, but they had the actual BB gun prop from the movie, which Drew and I took a picture with, naturally.  This movie will be a holiday classic I will never stop watching on Christmas day.

Drew and I with the BB gun from the movie.  "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!"


There is a three way tie for my favorite holiday chick-flick between The Holiday, Love Actually, and the Family Stone.  They're all great, feel good movies!

The Holiday
Love Actually
The Family Stone


When it comes to childhood classics, every year I must watch Home Alone and the Santa Clause.  Both are rather stupid movies, but very entertaining none-the-less.

 Runners up in Holiday Classic and Holiday Comedy are Miracle on 34th Street (the original) and Elf.

I also love the Nightmare Before Christmas by Tim Burton.  I know many people don't because it's weird, but I think it's festive.  Bonus: It can be a Halloween and Christmas movie!

And last but not least, there's a French film called Joyeux Noel (or Merry Christmas) which is based on a true story during World War I on the Western Front.  I don't want to spoil it, but it's a beautiful movie.  IMDB's summary: On Christmas Eve during world War I, the Germans, French, and Scottish fraternize and get to know the men who live on the opposite side of a brutal war, in what became a true lesson of humanity.  You should definitely check it out!


{6} My Christmas Wish List

In the Elmore household, you make a list or you don't really get anything for Christmas.  So anywho, they already know what I want, but here's a general summary.

1) KitchenAid Stand Mixer, in Silver (I blame Pioneer Woman)

2) The Cotton Patch Gospel.  When I was in 4th or 5th grade, my church did a performance of the Cotton Patch Gospel, a play.  The play was adapted from Clarence Jordan's translation of the Bible in to layman's terms.  Basically, he wrote the gospels as if they took place in deep south Georgia.  I am asking for his gospel translation(s).


3) Toms shoes.  In grey.
4) Nike Tempo Track shorts.  In red.

5) Subscriptions to Real Simple and/or Southern Living.

6) A 2011 Crossword Calendar

7) Pioneer Woman's Cookbook!


8) Black leather gloves

9) A French rolling pin, standing box cheese grater, and kitchen shears

10) Cute Knit Tunic from Old Navy


11) New Years Eve dress (several options: all fun and sparkly)

12) Light Trench Jacket


I'm supposed to give M some more $15-20 gift ideas, so I'm still scheming.  With a boyfriend, parents and brother I have to come up with plenty of ideas.  Hopefully I'll get my most wished-for.

Stay tuned for blog post #2 today.  Weekend re-cap.

0 comments:

 
Copyright (c) 2010 Hakuna Matata. Design by WPThemes Expert
Themes By Buy My Themes And Cheap Conveyancing.